LAQM tools and resources
This page provides links to a range of tools and resources designed to assist Scottish local authorities when undertaking LAQM Review and Assessment activities as prescribed under Part IV of the Environment Act 1995. In addition, links are also provided to several tools designed to support the assessment of the potential air quality impacts of developments and biomass boilers.
LAQM Report Submission Website
Local Authorities are required to use the LAQM Report Submission Website for electronic submission of their Updating and Screening assessments, Progress Reports, Detailed Assessment and Further Assessments.
LAQM Report Templates
Standardised report templates are available to download for Scottish Local Authorities when completing their LAQM Annual Progress Reports. The latest version of the template can be downloaded LAQM Report Template (DOC).
Other report templates and templates from previous years can be found at: https://laqm.defra.gov.uk/review-and-assessment/report-templates.html
Report appraisal checklists
These checklists provide information on what is considered for the appraisal of Review and Assessment reports by the Scottish Government. These have been devised based on the current assessment methods described in the Technical Guidance LAQM.TG(16) (PDF); and aim to judge the scientific validity of the report and its conclusions/recommendations.
Air Quality Action Planning
Download the Scottish Local Air Quality Management Policy Guidance LAQM PG(S)(16) (PDF) which provides guidance on Action planning for AQMAs in Scotland.
The shared resource on LAQM Action Planning for the Devolved Administrations and Defra contains a wide range of useful information and other guidance on strategies, plans and individual measures for managing local air quality impacts. There are also a number of examples of good practice by other UK local Authorities and links to other organisations who can provide specialist knowledge. Visit the LAQM Action Planning web page to view the range of resources available.
Air Quality Review and Assessment Tools
The following tools are provided to support local authorities when undertaking LAQM Review and Assessment activities:
Local Site Operator (LSO) Manual and videos
Download the LSO Manual and Videos
Pollution Background Maps
To assist with air quality review and assessment, 2011-based background maps for years 2011 to 2030 for NOx, NO2,and PM10 are available on the Mapping page.
NO2 Diffusion Tube tools
- National diffusion tube bias adjustment factor database - A national database of bias adjustment factors for local authorities to use to correct their diffusion tube measurements is available to download.
- Diffusion tube precision and accuracy spreadsheet tool - If local authorities have their own co-location studies they may calculate their own bias adjustment factor. A spreadsheet has been designed to assist with this. This spreadsheet calculates the precision and accuracy (bias) of individual co-location studies and gives 95% confidence intervals in the bias adjustment calculations.
- Diffusion tube QA QC Framework - WASP Scheme results - The analytical laboratories that supply and analyse diffusion tubes for Scottish Local Authorities take part in an independent Workplace Analysis Scheme for Proficiency (WASP), operated by the Health and Safety Laboratory.
- Diffusion tube data entry tool - A web-based Data Entry System for collection of NO2 diffusion tube data for Scotland.
- Nitrogen Dioxide Fall off with Distance Calculator - A calculator has been produced which estimates the annual mean nitrogen dioxide concentration at one distance from a road, using measurements made at a different distance from the same road.
- TEOM VCM Correction - For local authorities who still use TEOM analysers without an FDMS system; a tool is available to correct TEOM concentrations to "gravimetric equivalent" values based on the purge concentrations measured by FDMS analysers in other nearby locations. To assist local authorities with the Volatile Correction Model, ERG has developed a web portal that will allow the correction algorithms to be automatically applied.
Road traffic emission modelling calculation tools
Emissions Factors Toolkit
The Emission Factor Toolkit allows users to calculate pollutant emissions from road vehicles using local fleet and speed data. The emission data can be used for emission reduction scenario analysis and/or detailed dispersion modelling of pollutant concentrations.
For Information please read the EFT Factor Toolkit v8.0 User Guide (PDF).
Design Manual for roads and bridges
The Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) Screening Model published by the Highways Agency can be used for Review and Assessment purposes when assessing emissions from road sources.
This calculator allows local authorities to derive NO2 from NOx when NOx concentrations have been predicted by modelling road traffic emissions. The calculator can also be used to calculate the road component of NOx from roadside NO2 diffusion tube measurements. It incorporates the impact of expected changes in the fraction of NOx emitted as NO2 (f-NO2) and changes in regional concentrations of NOx, NO2 and O3.
Point source emission screening tools
Industrial Emissions Screening Tool
An Excel spreadsheet tool which reproduces the nomograms published in LAQM.TG(16) (PDF) for screening industrial stack emissions.
A spreadsheet which reproduces the nomograms for screening biomass combustion plant that are published in the LAQM.TG(16) (PDF) technical guidance.
CHP Emissions Screening Tool
This spreadsheet based tool provides a simple method for screening the air quality impact of a CHP installation. It supports the guidance document on CHP issued by EPUK. The tool will be useful to developers and local authorities.
These tools are originally provided via the Defra website https://laqm.defra.gov.uk/review-and-assessment/tools/tools.html